Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Cam's Corner

Hehe, I'm excited about this post!  This is one of my most favorite things in my house.  I was inspired after reading my usual blogs, and wanted to create a little area for Cam where he could learn in a *prepared environment*. 

I found the cubby table at Target and went to work stocking if full of fun things.  The lamp was from Lowes, the abacus from IKEA.  I made that cute little ABC I Love You sign for Valentines... and liked it so much I couldn't put it away:)

Heres what's in those cubbies
Top left: wooden puzzles (Melissa and Doug) and a gear game
Top mid: books
Top right: kind of a jumbled mess of flashy loud toys.  I know that's not very Montessori, but they are educational.  There's also a tub of wooden blocks.  
Bottom left: Magnets!  I'm obsessed... there's letters and numbers, a fridge toy where you match heads and tails of farm animals and a few random magnetic dinos and robots
Bottom mid: a box of sequential stacking balls and a Thomas book
Bottom right: M&D hammering toy, a bin of colored beads and lacing cards








Ok lets talk about this, my favorite part of this space.  I love magnets, they are such a great way to teach kiddos.  You can take a 1 dimensional concept and turn it into a tactile experience.  So I grabbed a big piece of sheet metal from Lowes, Command-stripped it to the wall and mounted an ABC poster from the dollar store.   Cam loves this board!  We matched his magnetic letters to the wall, we made felt boards, we matched colors... the list goes on and on.  I know it's kind of ugly in my living room, but luckily I have the best ever hubby who lets me have free reign of decorating:)



Heres a little table I got from CrapMart.  I hate shopping there, but you can't beat the price. I think the set was like, $12.  That black thing is a chalk board with a little dish of colored chalk.  There's also one of those little crocheted dish rags for wiping the board.  Cam's in that stage where he likes to clean up after himself... I am milking it as long as I can!!


No comments:

Post a Comment