Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Transportation Unit

 This is a unit I was *really* excited to put together for Cameron, he is sooo into anything that has wheels!!  I have been planning this one for kind of a long time, so it took up 2 shelves, lol:)


 


If there is anything that I think Cam might remember from these activities, it will be this sensory bin.  He's had these great little tractors for about a year (thanks, grandpa Curt!) and he still treasures them.  Against my better judgement, I stuck them in a bin with play sand and few other little construction-y toys.  He has *loved* this tray; he takes it all over the house and is super careful not to spill:)




 I found these little vehicle erasers at Target's dollar spot, and had to get them and do something with them!  There weren't really enough of them to do much, so I thought maybe we would try erasing pencil marks.  Cam has done ok with this, he would be better if the paper didn't move around. 

 


Stickers!  Here are 2 packages from the dollar store and some construction paper.  He loves stickers, and has a great time telling me what the different vehicles are:)



Washing James:)  I had this same one set up with a different train a while ago, and he loved it!  "I wash his face, his back, his bum.."



This kid loves his Do-A-Dot stampers.  Now that he kind of understands how to use them, he colors with them often.  Here are a few different printables for the stampers.



Our transportation books.  This pic makes me laugh because his tractor book with wheels is rolling away as I'm taking the pic:)



More patterning activities.  This one is probably a little difficult...  The dominoes came from Target's dollar spot, and they really are cute.  I lined them up into different patterns on my scanner, and them printed them off and taped them down to this tray.  I only set out the exact tiles I used, so he's got a Control of Error. 



Cutting Practice!  He is doing great with scissors, and I should probably switch out the toddler ones for big boy scissors:) 



Below are some pictures of his transportation binder.  I cannot remember where the printables cam from... Oopsey Daisy?





Here is a pic of our transportation puzzles.  The one on the right is his absolute favorite!  He talks about the pieces, takes them out and plays with them, etc.  



Remember this one from Chicka Chicka?  He liked the big pin poker, so I set up another one with some cute printables that I laminated.  



Shadow Matching.  This one is really too easy for him, but they weren't too time consuming to put together:)



Coloring!  I printed off several car coloring pages, and he has actually really spent some time on them.  He usually just draws a few lines and is done, but not these:)  I got the little cars and truck cup from Target forever ago, and I put his crayons in it.



Tweezing Vehicles:)  These are buttons from HL and Walmart, I think.  I am having trouble keeping them in their tray, lol.  I like that they are all different:)



Another Pinterest find, this one is supposed to be done with magnets or Play Doh.  But I'm a rebel, so I just threw some rocks in there:)



Another Do-A-Dots page, but I used our magnetic Pom Poms instead.  I love putting these pages on cookie sheets, they work really well.  



 Oooo, I am proud of this one!  Spooning river rocks into a dump truck.  This one is hard cuz the rocks are bigger than the spoon and really heavy.  You probably can't see, but I put a piece of packing tape across the back to keep the rocks inside the truckbed.  Cam really likes this one, and has come back to it a few times:)



Stamping.  I kind of despise stamping activities... my carpets, his clothes... everything is red or green still from Christmas:(  Whatever, he is getting much better.  I found these stamps a long time ago, too and am glad I finally get to use them.  But I had to run out and get a Jumbo sized inkpad from Michaels!  The little ones were a joke, I feel silly I didn't notice that before I set them out!



Another Pinterest idea!  Some amazing Mommy had cut out 'roads' out of stiff felt for her kiddos to play on.  She even put little white dashes in the middle.  I didn't go that far.  So I cut up some felt sheets from HL and set out a variety of his nicer trucks (except for the mixer truck.)  I just eyeballed it, so they don't fit perfectly:)  I also ordered those awesome road signs off Amazon, for like $3 or something.  I really wanted this unit to touch on road safety; Cam should know stop signs and traffic lights at the very least.  He does, we are working on the others now.  




While we are on the subject of traffic lights, I made this one for his classroom.  I try to have relate-able posters up over the shelving units but I didn't have any available.  So now we talk about colors and traffic lights:)  "Green means go, Mommy and red means stop! Yellow means go faster.."


Here's a shot of his magnet board.  There is a matching activity, and the train and firetruck came from a M&D set that we stickered and glittered up.  The big die cuts are from a 'colors' pack, but I figured they were appropriate:)  There are also most of his Thomas the Train magnet characters for him to play with.  He keeps taking them out and putting them back in his room (that's where they came from) lol


No comments:

Post a Comment