Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Alphabet Unit

As I mentioned in a previous post, I set up new works for Cam in his classroom that focused on Chika Chika and the Alphabet.  Below are pictures of his Alphabet bookcases and activities.  

Once I started putting together the tray works, I realized that most everything from this shelf and the Chika Chika shelves were worksheets.  I really try to have tons of hands-on stuff for Cam, he gets really bored with the one dimensional stuff.  After scouring Pinterest and rummaging through my craft stores, this is what we came up with:)




These are great little two piece puzzles that are a letter and corresponding object.  Cam liked these OK; I just had to make sure and have a flat surface for him to work on.  Poor guy would get so frustrated trying to put the puzzles together on a rug:)


ABCs go with 123s, right?  I originally wanted this shelf to be dedicated to both, but I was only able to squeeze in a few counting works.  We have had this puzzle for a loooong time. Just to make it a little more difficult, I grabbed his Thomas the Train counting cards to match to the numbers.


Cameron has REALLY enjoyed these Alphabet nesting blocks!  That is as close I can financially get to the Montessori pink tower, lol.  They are made by Melissa and Doug, so they are really sturdy.  Cam likes to stack up and jump through them:)


This is kind of a silly little work, but I thought it might be a good hands-on number recognition activity.  We have had those letter magnets for a while, and most are missing.  That is why the orange board doesn't have a full alphabet:)  The letters are die cuts from the Dollar Store.  


Another letter puzzle!  He actually really liked this one, and sang his ABCs over and over while he played with it:)  Under the letter piece is a picture of a corresponding object (under N is a nest) so it's good sounding practice, too.


Got this little foam puzzle from the Dollar Store a while back, and he plays with it every day.   


Awesome interactive toy from the MIL!  It talks, plays music, teaches letters and their sounds... Cam loves it!


Another Dollar Store ABC puzzle.  So far, not too much interest in this one. 


Our Alphabet books:)  The Animal Alphabet one is really cool, and of course he loves the Thomas letter cards


Here's a quick shot of the binder I put together for him.  The printables came from Confessions of a Homeschooler, and are just numbers 1-10.  ABC stickers, a Dri Erase marker, and a Thomas coloring book make it lots of fun!!


The last time I set out sand for an activity, I SWORE I would never do it again.  Green play sand allllll through the carpet, tracked through the house, even in my dryer lint trap!  But Cam has done really well keeping the sand where it goes.  The purpose of this is to trace letters or numbers in the sand.  I got a super cute little ABC flipbook to go with it for a reference.  

No comments:

Post a Comment