Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Insects

This post is going to focus on our Insect unit, one that we are currently having lots of fun with!  Remember we just expanded Cam's classroom space, so he has more shelves available.  A Farm unit and some traditional Montessori shelves are also out right now.  

Many thanks to 1+1+1=1, 2 Teaching Mommies, Second Story Window, and Oopsy Daisy for the great printables. 


Music Time!  These buggy instruments were part of a gift from Cameron's favorite Aunt...well, she was until she gave him a giant drum full of noise makers.  Ha!


 We have had so much fun with this funny little work!  I cut out a tree shape and put a cup of ladybug and leaf foam stickers out with it.  I am really low on trays... I'm sure Montessori purists have just gasped and clutched their chests... so I used a clipboard.  It works.  


 Ok use your imagination... It's a caterpillar that you lace through an apple!


 Bug Sensory Bin.  This one was really fun to put together!  I did pinto beans and river rocks, along with all kinds of goodies from the back yard.  I bought a bunch of miniature insects in one of those Toobs I love so much, and scattered them all over.  I stuck a magnifying glass in there, too. 


 I found this idea online somewhere, I'm sorry I have no idea where!  Cameron organizes the bugs into bugs that Bite and bugs that Don't.  If I was artistic, I would draw little toothy mouths!  The tins are from Target's Dollar Spot, and they have a little chalkboard area!


 Another idea I can't take credit for:)  I printed off 2 piece puzzleds and taped them to big Legos.  Cam likes puzzles ok, but I thought these might be easier for him to manipulate.


 Check out this bug house I found at Target for $3!!  I love that it even came with a magnifying glass.  We are going to go on a bug hunt!


 I found this at my local grocery store and thought Cam might enjoy watching it grow.  


 I always put a out a cookie sheet with papers held down with magnets.  I threw crayons and stamps on this one... and took the stamps off after there were red and blue handprints all over my carpet.  Anyway, the stamps are from the Dollar Store.  




 These are my favorite!!  I found an insect flashcard pack at Target's Dollar Spot and used them for matching along with the Toob bugs.  It worked out so well, I had to split the activity onto two trays because it was too overwhelming!  The top picture shows the buggies on the cards, and the pic below is just the cards.




Another present from Cam's favorite Auntie!  Apparently, it sucks up bugs and keeps them in a clear plastic chamber.  Then you can inspect your bug or put it into a nifty Paul Frank bug house:)


 Random bowl of squishy spiders.  I haven't decided what to do with it... maybe put them in a sensory bag with hair gel or something...


 Our bug books.  I would like to do some extension crafts to go along with the Eric Carle ones...


 Here is a pic of the insect bookshelves.  Cameron has had such a good time with these activities!  I am chomping at the bit to get some Autumn units together, but he is enjoying these so much, I might leave them out a little longer.


Below are pictures of the Insects Binder.  Sorry they are crooked:(  Again, I threw in some pre-writing practice sheets and 3 part puzzles. 


This one has some insect related songs with props, and a cute color matching activity.  I painted water bottle caps and drew smileys on them, then had Cam put the 'bugs' into the color-coordinating jars.  So cute!! 




 "Look Mamma, caterpillar!"


No comments:

Post a Comment