Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Cameron's New Classroom

Aaaah, Pinterest.  Thank God for you.  

I was starting to feel like Cameron's classroom area was quickly spiraling out of control.  The space was a classroom/guest bedroom/craft mess compilation...and it wasn't working.  I needed better organization.  There was craft stuff mixed with class stuff mixed with random stuff.  So I moved my desk and crafty stuff out of the bedroom and into the office.  It works *so* much better!  I was able to expand Cameron's classroom space, so that he now has 3 bookcases.  Right now, I have one devoted to insects, one on farms, and the bigger one to Montessori.  It is working out really well.  





I also over-hauled the closet in that room.  Sorry, future guests, but you will have to find another place to hang your clothes:)  I took Pinterest's advice and hung a clear shoe organizer on the door, and filled it up with Cam's ever-growing Arts and Crafts supplies.  



Here's another picture of Cam's space, sorry for the crap lighting.  I put in the uber expensive day-light bulbs and added 2 lamps, and the light still sucks.  I grabbed the beanbag from Target for like $20, and IKEA supplied the red lamp and white table.  My very new and very light carpet is already speckled with all kinds of toddler spots... I guess I will have to find a cute rug to put down:)  



Here's a close-up of Cam's magnet and Dri Erase board.  If you know me, you know I am obsessed with using magnets!  Such an incredible way to concrete concepts.  Yes I command-stripped it to the bed frame.  I'm sorry.  There was no other option.  

Since we are doing farm stuff, I put some farm animal window clings and his animal match/sounds magnet toy up.  I keep a mirror, a magnetic eraser, and a magnetic bin for markers up, too.  I later added some butterflies that teach size differentiation, and some ladybug counting cards.  



Here's a shot of his lightboard that sits on the table between the bookcases.  I love this thing!  I first found out about them on a website devoted to teaching autistic kids, I think.  Great sensory ideas.  This one is from Michaels for about $20.  We use window clings, gels, Dri Erase markers, clear dishes with marbles, gems, sand... the list goes on.  Currently, we are playing with water beads.  Have you seen these crazy things?!  Our family is kind of obsessed with them:)  





Some cute and amazing mommy posted on Pinterest a seasonal Bucket List for her kiddos.  I loved that idea!  I see one million things I want to do, and have no real way to keep track of them.  I got a frame from Michaels and used a scrapbook kit from WalMart.  Not to toot my own horn, but for a crappy scrapbooker, I am pretty proud of this:)  The plan is to write on the glass in Dri Erase marker, but I want to find a cuter color first.  It is now hanging over his  lightboard table to remind me to do those activities!




I *finally* made a felt board that works!  Just a foam posterboard and like a yard of felt.  Oh, and a hot glue gun:)  It's good for quiet play with Cameron, but he is kind of a busy boy and gets frustrated with too many fine-motor activities.  So this is one we only play with for a few minutes before he starts trying to throw it.  *sigh*  As you can see, I made some trains, clothes and foods.  I want to do a Jack-o-lantern for fall and Christmas tree, too!





Random pic of Cameron's easel that's in his room.  He stopped playing with his magnetic gears (tear) so I took them down.  He loved those for so long, I ended up buying 3 seperate sets due to lost pieces.  So I put some Expo markers in the cup holder and set out his Thomas the Train magnets.  


No comments:

Post a Comment